This article contains the most comprehensive guide and information you need to know about school registration in Ghana as outlined by National Schools Inspectorate Authority (NaSIA).
1. What is School registration ?
School registration is the process of acquiring an official certificate or record, for an educational institution to operate. You must register if you will provide full-time education for 5 or more pupils of compulsory school age with an education
2. Why School registration ?
The National Schools Inspectorate Authority (NaSIA), is an Agency of the Ministry of Education responsible for providing an independent external evaluation of the quality and standards in basic and second cycle educational institutions. The NaSIA is responsible for registering and licensing all pre-tertiary educational and training institutions and facilities in Ghana
3. Who should register and why?
You must register with the NaSIA before you can run a school in Ghana.
All schools should be duly registered or at least secure a provisional license to operate before commencing business.
Schools without a provisional license to operate / certificate of registration would be sanctioned and made to register.
4. Registration Process
Before application for registration;
- School must be registered at the Registrar General’s Department.
- Schoolmust be registered at the Local Authority where it is located.
- Applicant needs to make payment to fill the form. Payment details will be required when filling the school registration application form.
- After a successful application for registration, the application would be notified
- A notice of date for inspection of the school will be communicated to management of the school not less than one week before the inspection.
- In case of any unforeseen circumstance which hinders the possibility of inspection on the agreed date, management of the school would be duly informed and a new date will be scheduled.
- Inspectors from NaSIA would be panelled to verify that the school meets the required standards set by the NaSIA.
- The team of Inspectors will then required to submit a report on the inspection to the Inspector-General of Schools for final approval letter.